Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Get well in the Bayou

I made this card for today's color challenge: Wild Wasabi, Blue Bayou and Barely Banana. I wanted to use stamps I have had a while that have never seen ink....can you believe it???? Stamps that have never been inked up?????


What do you think?

I started by inking up the flower vase from Fun and Fast Notes. I mounted the sentiments from this entire set on the sides of the blocks so I could stamp the image separately from the sentiment with ease. I love to do this with stamps that are combined with sentiments.

Anyway...back to the task at hand. I inked up the flowers in black staz-on ink and stamped it on to whisper white. I water colored it with my aquapainters using ink refills. you can watercolor on whisper white, you just have to be very careful not to get the paper too saturated. When I was in the middle of coloring this image...I had a "duh!" moment that I should have used my watercolor paper. I don't know what I was thinking! Oh well...i was very careful when placing color down. Notice the shadowing around the vase and flowers? I used my barely banana ink to shadow around the image. I think that is where a lot of water coloring looks flat, not putting shadows around the image. I always wondered why my images looked "flat" and then another "duh!" moment came to me. I need shadows! lol!

I matted the main image with barely banana on one side only. I then took my 3/16th inch corner rounder and popped off that guard and scalloped the edge of my main image. I matted that entire piece on blue bayou.

The card base is barely banana. The upper background panel is wild wasabi wheeled with Fast Flowers in wild wasabi ink. Then to give the flowers a little something, I used my white gel pen to highlight the flower centers.

The lower background panel starts with a base of blue bayou. I then cut a piece of Designer Series Prints in Porcelain Prints a quarter inch smaller that the blue bayou and punched the bottom two corners with my beloved ticket corner punch and adorned that quarter circle with a brad from the antique brass hodgepodge hardware.

The sentiment was stamped in black staz-on. I punched the corners with the ticket corner punch and matted that on barely banana. Do you see more hardware? I am making good on my resolution to use my accessories and I must say I love the cards with hardware on them! I pulled out a semi-circle holder thingy from my hodgepodge hardware and adhered it to my sentiment panel with another brad. I tied some double stitched wild wasabi ribbon through the semi-circle and then adhered the other end of the ribbon around the back of the card.
To finish off...my main image is adhered with stampin' dimensionals.

Right now, fortunately, I don't know anyone who needs a get well card but it sure will be nice to have one on hand when it is needed.

I have club that meets tonight so off to pack up my goodies....

Happy stampin' to you!

No comments: