Saturday, January 12, 2008

Wild Lions.....and another punch tip!

I made this card to show you another use for that round tab punch we talked about yesterday, but that will come a little later.

The card base is really rust with a top fold. I stamped the background first with flannel plaid background stamp in really rust and then with weathered background stamp in chocolate chip. After I stamped the weathered background you really can't see the flannel plaid background unless you are really looking for it...that is ok though....it is a subtle coloring in real life. I then took out my trusty stampin' sponge and sponged it and everything on this card with chocolate chip. I keep a sponge, well a few actually, just for chocolate chip....I use it all of the time for sponging edges. The sentiment is from the Wild About You stamp set stamped on very vanilla with chocolate chip ink. I rounded the corners with my corner rounder before sponging. I then made my own "slider" out of the sentiment. I took my rectangle hand held punch and punched along the edges, ran my more mustard 1/4 inch grosgrain ribbon through it and around the card and tied it in a simple knot with a piece of retired 1/4 inch chocolate chip grosgrain ribbon in the knot. I don't very ofter use retired things on this blog but I couldn't resist putting a small piece of it through the knot.

Now for the main image:

The base is more mustard. I stamped the lion from wild About You onto very vanilla for the focal image and them again on scrap paper in more mustard and really rust. I cut out the entire mane of the really rust lion and mounted it on top of the main lion on a stampin' dimensional turned slightly at an angle to show the more mustard lion mane underneath. (wow...that was a lengthy statement.....) I then took my more mustard lion on the scrap and colored in his nose and mouth outline with my stampin' write chocolate chip marker before cutting out the face. I mounted that face on to the really rust mane on a stampin' dimensional too. Looking at it in real life...the lion pops out at you...really cute, in my opinion!


Now for your punch tip:

See that window the lion is looking through? I took a piece of chocolate chip and punched my round tab punch in the middle and then rotated my punch 90 degrees and lined up the tabs and punched again creating a perfect circle! For this card....I wouldn't have really had to do the circle that way but imagine you made a card with the main image (here - lion) being on a scallop circle punch....your scallop punch would fit perfectly in this circle! Remember the donut cards we made at the Season of Joy stamp camp???? you could do a donut card with this circle and the scallop punch! Are your wheels turning yet?


ok....back to this card and enough of my visions of future cards!

I took that chocolate chip frame and stamped it with weathered background stamp in chocolate chip. Next, I took the mat pack and piercing tool and marked where I wanted my brads to go. I then took brads from my Antique Copper Hodgepodge Hardware and adorned the corners. I mounted that window up on stampin' dimensionals.


what do you think? leave a comment below and give me your thoughts an the card and the tips with the round tab punch.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How adorable.. I really love this card. Great job!!

Jessica Lynn