Friday, October 17, 2008

Blogger's Challenge - week 69

HI Stampers!
Sorry I am so late posting today....I am in very slow motion...... I stayed up until after 2:00am last night getting things ready for next Friday's Christmas Card Camp And the little one got up this morning at 6:30 and don't forget that the hubby got up at 3:30 to go to work....so if you do the math...I had 4 1/2 hours of broken up sleep!

And if you know me personally...you know I am not a night person! According to my hubby, I am not a morning person or a day person either!!! lol!!! I was in my room, everyone was asleep, and it felt so good to stamp, cut, count, bag, scrap all alone...with NO interruptions!!! I just couldn't stop myself. I kept telling myself that I would regret my stamping spree in the morning, but I couldn't help it! I looked down at my watch and it said 2:00 and I was running on pure adrenaline and had a thought to just stay up until my hubby went to work....but I though that I had better not.

Oh well....I was able to squeak out the Blogger's Challenge card this afternoon while my daughter wiped what ever she could with a baby wipe telling me that she is a "good wiper" - meaning a "good cleaner." She started picking up glass jars full of embellishments and I thought that maybe it was time to get out of there.

Today's challenge was a color challenge - riding hood red, really rust, old olive and white/vanilla. WHAT?!?!??!?!?!? RIDING HOOD RED & REALLY RUST????? How was I going to pull that off????? So I started by laying swatches out on my desk...I always do this with color challenges....And I thought, well...this won't be too bad if I use only a small dose of riding hood red or really rust. Olive? You can't go wrong there....right? lol!

Well....I did bend the rules a tad......I used chocolate chip craft ink for my sentiment and embossed that in clear embossing powder.

Here it is:

The base is riding hood red. I stamped a single leaf in the bottom right corner with riding hood red ink. The sentiment from holidays and wishes is chocolate chip craft embossed with clear embossing powder.

My main panel is very vanilla....it was allowed...lol! I inked the leaves from with gratitude with old olive and "rock and rolled" them in riding hood red...wait...there is more....it is very subtle, but I "thumped" the leaves with a really rust marker before stamping. My clubs learned "thumping" this month and several of you asked what other sets you could do it with....this is definitely one of them. With these colors, that technique is very subtle, but you can tell in real life. See the speckles??? That is the tiny cluster of dots stamp from itty bitty backgrounds inked in really rust and stamped off twice before stamping around the leaves. I matted that panel with old olive.


And here is where the small dose of really rust card stock comes in......

I took a 1 3/8 inch circle punch of really rust and folded it in half around the side of the main panel. I adhered it with snail adhesive...but it looks like it has been sewn on with an old olive button and riding hood red thread!!! you have got to get a better look at that.....

I guess it is still hard to see here...but I took a tiny sliver of riding hood card stock and threaded it through the button holes and adhered the ends with a mini glue dot. I then adhered the "threaded button" onto the semicircle with mini glue dots.
At least this close up gives you a better look at the leaves.....
I am having the darndest time getting a decent picture lately....argh!!!!!!
What do you think? I am pleased with the super simple layout...and I think the leaves really pop off this card. It won't be long and there will not be any more fall leaves here in western PA to look at..... :(

17 comments:

Lynn Mercurio said...

I nearly wimped out on this challege too...but I'm so glad you didn't because your card is wonderful!

Selene Kempton said...

You did a Wonderful Job on this challenge! Beautiful!

Kerry D-C said...

Very pretty! love the button!

Anonymous said...

very pretty! This color combo is perfect for fall leaves.

Chrissy D said...

You did a beautiful job on this challenge! Love the button and the multicolored leaves! TFS!

Nikki Bond said...

Very pretty! I love how you inked up the leaves...Gorgeous! {SMILES}

Barb Hardeman said...

Such a pretty card Regina. Your leaves are beautiful and your button with the cardstock thread is too cute. Great job on this challenge.

Patti Chesky said...

A lot of the leaves are down in MN too! This card is very pretty. The thumping is a great way to incorporate color into the card. Great idea!

Unknown said...

Go get some sleep - you deserve it after making this beautiful card. Thanks for playing this week!

Ida said...

Another great Autumn card with beautiful leaf images. I like how you did the single leaf at the bottom and also the circle on the side was a nice addition.

Barbara said...

This is such a beautiful card....the leaves are just perfect for this odd mix of colors...and works perfectly!! Love the idea of "threading" the button with a thin wisp of CS...gotta try that one! And, of course, thumping is always fun, fun, fun!! Great card! Looks like at least a few of us were thinking Fall when we saw this color combo!! Get some much-needed rest tonight!

Kimberly Gajewski said...

What a beautiful Thanksgiving card Regina! You made these colors work perfectly together! :D

Kristen said...

Great card. Your leaves look great.

Anonymous said...

Another great card, glad you didn't decide to take a miss on this one.

:) Marcia

Connie Babbert said...

Love your card. The 1/2 circle with a button is great. Several of you used thumping...a technique I forget about! Great job!

Lori said...

Love the simple layout with the bold images. Looks great!

Anonymous said...

Pretty card! I think the Rock and Roll technique is perfect for autumn leaves!